Friday, January 19, 2007

THE ROAD VERSUS THE TREADMILL



Which one? Running on the road or the treadmill? Well I like both but right now I run on the treadmill most of the time. I will only hit the road until I feel that I am fit enough to do it. What are the pros and cons? Here's some of the pros and cons of running on the treadmill or the road:

The Treadmill:
Pros:

  • You can control your speed
  • You can do speed training
  • Smooth course
  • Good for rainy season
  • Free from beasts and stalkers
  • Not exposed to the sun
  • Good for beginners
  • Not subjected to accidents
  • You can run on it any time of the day
Cons:
  • Dull scenery (Music! TV! anyone)
  • Your body is not subjected to harsh condition. Therefore you tend to experience "shock" when running outdoor
  • For weight watchers, you do not burn calories as much as you could when running outdoor
The Road:
Pros:
  • You sweat more and burn more calories
  • Better scenery (running tend to be fun when there is a change of scenery along the running course)
  • Your body is subjected to harsh conditions
Cons:
  • Dogs/stalkers attack anyone?
  • The heat from the sun may be unbearable (and UV light may cause cancer)
  • Rainy season: you can't run as much right?
  • Can't run night time
  • Should you be injured during the run, who's gonna get you home or to the hospital?
  • You are prone to accident
On the whole actually, I prefer the road but right now I am not fit enough to run on the road. Wait until I shed 5kg more then I will hit the road. But what the heck! Running on the treadmill is much better than doing nothing at all, right?


2 comments:

Reza Faizal said...

I agree running on road is much more fun. However it's advisable to run only on certain hours i.e early morning or late afternoon because of heat & sun rays. I also don't dare to run outdoor after maghrib.

Treadmill running in the gym allow me to run anytime I want. Also it help me keep track my running data.

Anyway, I love to see one day where everyone in Brunei is health conscious. See more people going to gym, running outdoor and exercising.

Zainal Haji Ahmad said...

But I can say Brunei people in general nowadays are more health concious than many years ago. This is based on my personal observation where back in 1999 when I first set foot in JPMC gym, there were not many locals enrolling there. Infact at any one time, there were only few gym users. But now, the scenario is very much different. Sometimes you will have to wait until you can use your favourite machine. But hopefully more people will get into running.