Thursday, January 4, 2007

LESSON TIME

Today is the second day of the first term. Not much preparation to be done coz' all of my teaching aids/resources are stored in my pendrives. I have revised and edited some beforehand. My first lesson was during the third and foruth periods. I was so motivated today. When I finished assembling my computer and the projector, I was about ready to test it before my students came. To my disapponintment, the projector malfunctioned. Something wrong with the bulb. I expected this already since I have been using it in my teaching since 2004. BUT OF ALL TIME, WHY TODAY? Contingency plan: traditional teaching - chalk and talk (well! literally, more like marker pen and talk)

My form 4 P students (during the third and fourth periods) were very quiet. Expected. As today was the first time I was meeting them. So I teased them: I GIVE YOU ALL ONE WEEK, WE WILL BE EXPERIENCING A HURRICANE IN THIS CLASS. Overall they are all OK.

My form 5 O students (fifth and sixth lessons) on the otherhand, after a year teaching them they were still very passive expecting everything to be fed to them. So half way during the lesson...I forced them to participate in the class discussion. I told them that each one of them must contribute in the discussion otherwise the lesson will not be proceeded. After voicing every question, I would say "............I am going to wait for your answer patiently and passionately until you speak up.............." Somehow everyone particpated eventhough some were mumbling shyly, few words (Good start though, can't ask for more). Well! that's a progress (Last year they were always waiting for answers). On the whole, I enjoyed today's lesson with my form 5 O. (Hopefully they will be more motivated this year.......the big XM is in 10 months time)

Need to prepare for my saturday's lesson since I cannot use technology for the next 2 or 3 weeks (The technician in the computer service centre told me that the bulb will need to be ordered and it will take them 2 or 3 weeks to arrive)

0 comments: