Wednesday, January 3, 2007

BACK PAIN

I have been suffering this since early 2006. Its killing me (literally speaking). Sometimes I teases my wife by saying: "If you experiences this back pain, you wish you want to give birth every year". Meaning to say that my back pain is more severe than labour pain. Of course it is not actually the case. I know labour pain is beyond comparison.

The pain starts with my neck. It gradually spreads to the shoulder and then along the spine down to the back of my waist. I have tried massages (traditional and reflexology) but the relief was only temporary. Sometimes in October, I could not bear it anymore that I finally went to the hospital for a check up. The doctor gave me an X-ray and according to her there is nothing wrong with my back bone or whatsoever. She said that there was nothing that she can do and gave me painkillers. So frustrating.

My quest for 2006 was actually to lose weight after the drastic gain in 2005. Somehow this back pain slowed down my progress. I could not do thing that I love the most: RUNNING. However I managed to lose 7kg by August, gained 2kg during the recent festive season(September/October), losing 2kg after the festive season. By end of November, my weight was 83kg (still about 10kg more to be shed).

Early December, I saw an advertisment posted by LEGACY WELLNESS (Muara) in the paper (Borneo Bulletin) about "Back pain". I gave it a try and after five treatments I am now almost recovered. The pain in the neck, shoulder and along the spine are now diminishing. But the pain at the back of my waist is still there (though better than before).

The treatment was a combination of acupuncture (using electrodes), cupping and bio massage. All these takes about one hour 15 mins per session and costs me B$40 per session. According to the doctor, the acupuncture was done to unblock blood clotting in the blood vessels supplying nutrients to the muscles (hence due to this blockage, it leads to muscle spasm/stiffness - thus the pain). Cupping (a very painful treatment) was done to improve blood circulation. Bio massage is totally the opposite of cupping, its relaxing.

Proper stretching also helps (as advised by the gym instructor - thanks Tony). Actually stretching is something that I took lightly before. Now stretching before and after my workout is a must. I have been doing it religiously (even at home while watching TV).

Since my recovery (well! almost), I have started running again..............Hopefully the quest will be materialised soon..............................(I am actually giving myself three months)

0 comments: