Wednesday, March 7, 2007

TEN THINGS I LIKE ABOUT TEACHING

1. Got to see many new faces every year (students and colleagues) - imagine working in the MOE offices seeing the same people day in and day out! (To work in MOE offices is not my idea of a promotion! - not even in my wish list!)

2. Got yo have your own leaves during school term holidays together with your children.

3. Got to learn new things everyday - teachers also learn just like students - learning never ends for a teacher - we keep on improvising things.

4. Got to observe how your students behave - try to understand them - from there we teachers can improve ourselves as parents to our own children.

5. Being a teacher makes you feel young all the time (at heart though) - especially when you are surrounded by your students who keep you up to date about happenings in the YOUNG's world which is always about musics, sports and technology.

6. Being able to deliver your lessons and being well accepted, appreciated and understood by your students are the best "gift" of the day.

7. Being entrusted with side jobs other than teaching, makes you as a teacher, more versatile - but not too much clerical jobs at any one time, thank you very much!!!

8. Being entrusted to produce future leaders is one of the best "gift" of teaching.

9. Your previous students still remember you as a good teacher - some highlight our positive sides as well as our negative sides as a teacher - THANKS A LOT - As for the negative sides, we learn from making mistakes - this is what I always remind my students: to learn from making mistakes rather than copying other people's work.

10. Got to go home early than those in MOE offices - But mind you, we still continue to do our works at home - some none teachers friends used to say: But you can always recycle your previous notes? No way, for most teachers notes are always improvised. How about using resources from other teachers? Double no no for me as it usually affects the flow of my teaching. Can't even use my wife's resources even though we are teaching the same subject - The good thing about improvising is you are actually preparing yourself in how best to deliver your lessons effectively.

8 comments:

Faithful Soles said...

Great post about the 10 things you like about teaching. I can tell that your students are very blessed to have you. Also, don't stress too much about making up the mileage you have missed. You are going to have periods where you do more or less, so just take it as it comes.

By the way, thank you again for linking to our Blog Database on the main Faithful Soles web site. We now have running bloggers from 37 states in the USA and 20 other countries.

Zainal Haji Ahmad said...

Thanks for dropping by and thanks for the advice concerning my mileage... I have this typical runners' habit: the guilty feeling if I dont run in more than 2 days stretch....

Your site is inspirational. Glad to be part of it (indirectly).

Bruneian said...

you got promoted? wahh.. congrats :)

Zainal Haji Ahmad said...

LOL LOL.... Bruneian, dont get the wrong idea... LOL some more... I love teaching... to be promoted to work in MOE offices is not in my wish list... If I am to work there till 5pm everyday, when will I have time to do my run... To be able to run is more important than to be promoted... LOL even some more... BTW thanks for dropping by......

Murabiyyah said...

I agree whole heatedly, hear hear!
hehe :)

Zainal Haji Ahmad said...

Thanks Murabiyyah... I value my health more than promotion...

Bruneian said...

Adidarwish .. I drop by everyday :)

oo ya, when you put it that way, I rather teach then .. hehe

Zainal Haji Ahmad said...

Thanks... same here... I blog-hopped everyday.... ur blog is the most frequent... what with the wedding coverage... BTW Ridha is also teaching in the same school as mine...