Tuesday, January 2, 2007

MY QUEST FOR SHEDDING 30KG

The quest was sometimes in 1998 after the birth of my second daughter when I hit the three digit number on the scale. It took me about 6 months to shed the 30kg. It was a very difficult task but to maintain it was even tough.

The following were the things that I did during those time:
* Brisk walking (about 6.0kmphr to 7.0kmphr) on the treadmill for one hour everyday for a few weeks (can't remember the exact duration) followed by 30 minutes bike and 30 minutes climbing machine (sometimes the rowing machine). The most important thing here was always WILL POWER, WILL POWER AND MORE WILL POWER. (No apparent change yet during this time) (All these trainings were made possible because during that time, teachers were only working up to 12.30pm - so I consistenly hit the gym immediately after the working hours)
* Then I gradually increased my walking to a slow jog (8.0kmphr to 9.0kmphr). About this time, the lose was very slow to come by. This was the time when I got so frustrated when the scale was not giving me even a slight of cooperation. Instead I was gaining. But I was told that the gain was due to muscle being built (muscles are actually heavier than fats)......yeah right....I said to myself. Luckily the WILL POWER was still there. At the same time my diet was watched by my beloved wife (thanks dear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
* I think after the third month, when I finally increased my running speed up to 10kmphr the weight was starting to decrease drastically to 85kg. About this time, I was advised by the gym instructor to do some weight training. I think it helps alot coz' after the fourth month, my weight was already down to 80kg. (Of course I was always hitting a plateau every now and then when the fats was too stubborn to be burnt - again luckily the WILL POWER was still there)
* By the fifth month, my speed was already reaching 11kmphr. In all these running trainings the durations were always between 45 mins to 90 mins depending on the "strength" of the WILL POWER. (From what I gathered from the "Runners' World, fats will only start to be burnt or oxidised after 30 minutes exercising - so I made it a point to run more than 30 mins) By this time, my weight was already reaching down to 75kg.
* By the sixth month, it was down to 72kg and my running speed was already up to 12kmphr. After this, the weight remains consistent. This was actually a more challenging task for me - to maintain my weight. I managed to maintain this for about two years. After that it slipped away. I began to gain back as much as up to 78kg (which I considered still a good weight)

But I started to gain back drastically when I did my master degree for one year in 2005. I gained knowledge as well as fats. After finishing my study, my weight was reaching up to 90kg. Now I am in my quest to lose weight down to 75kg. Currently my weight is 83kg but I don't think I can lose it as fast as it used to be many years ago. This is due to my back pain (slowly recovering now), work load and age (metabolism decreases with age)................But like I said in my previous post, I am determine to grow old healthily............I am getting there............................

0 comments: