Sunday, February 11, 2007

YIPEE!!! A WONDERFUL OUTDOOR RUN, NOT!

I have been planning for an outdoor running this morning since Friday. But it was raining heavily. So the contingency plan was to go to the gym. My motivation to run a 10K run was very high this morning. Somehow, when I checked the data recorded in my ipod at the 3K mark with the data recorded by the treadmill, I noticed there was a difference by about 300m (Last Friday, the difference was about 600m). So I decided to stop at 5K mark to do some calibrations again. The following chart shows the data before calibration:

Before Calibration

After finishing my first 5K run, I did some calibration runnings and walkings. This time I did alternate running and walking calibration for 6K (1K running alternated with 1K walking). I found that there was a match between the data recorded in both my ipod and the treadmill. After the calibration workout, I did another 5K run for the purpose of checking the accuracy of my running sensor. Yes, there was a match in both.

After Calibration

What have I learned this morning? I think I will have to at least do 1K calibration running before doing some serious runnings. To Murabiyyah and other nike+ipod users, take note of this OK....

3 comments:

Reza Faizal said...

wah... need calibration before running... that's not friendly!

Zainal Haji Ahmad said...

Exactly...... but it helps to motivate me. Anyway, we can always consider the calibration workout as part of warming up.

Murabiyyah said...

yeaa, i find calibrating a pain actually..I think also because it's on the top of our foot rather than our soles (which is where it would be placed if you were to use the Nike+ shoes) which effects its reading...

teori sasat maybe?