Today MS PRYNSA 10 team consisting of 8 students, me and another supervising teacher went to Bukit Shahbandar for our quest to investigate the diversity and distribution of epiphytes there. After hiking there through the thick forests as well as along the trails for more than three hours, we managed to identify only very few species of epiphytes. A very tiring and "fruitless" outing but at least I did not have to feel guilty for not doing any workout this morning. Tomorrow we will continue our quest at another site, Bukit Sawat at Sungai Liang.
Note: As of now, I long for a long vacation at a resort! (I can only dream right now! *sigh*)
Note: As of now, I long for a long vacation at a resort! (I can only dream right now! *sigh*)


4 comments:
question: what are epiphytes? I dont remember coming across this term when I did biology.... or maybe ada, but I wasnt paying attention! hehe
Epiphytes are actually plants growing on trees (we called the trees "host")... Their roots obtained nutrients aerially... so not like non-epiphytes in which the roots penetrate the soil. The roots of the epiphytes are also used for clinging on the host trees. Examples, orchids, ferns and mosses.
thanks for the quick bio lesson Sir! I thought those were called parasites! heehee
No problem.....
Post a Comment